Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Wow. It's June

I have been remiss in my posting here; it's been several weeks since I've given myself the time to write. So what's new?

I have turned a corner in developing wedding ceremonies. Through the amazing trust and courage of several recent couples, I have written and will soon deliver their love stories without their having seen and approved the script copy before they hear my rendering for the first time.

Some of you don't know that in my officiating ceremonies, I introduce the couple and begin the ceremony unofficially by telling the gathered guests the story of this couple and how they came to be standing in our midst ready to commit to a lifelong union. Up until a few weeks ago, I wrote the ceremony and sent it back to the couple to read and approve. After all, they should hear what their guests will hear. But recently several couples have said that they wanted their beloved other's thoughts about them told to them as a surprise. And having done this once two weeks ago, I can see that it has an amazing depth of intimacy I never could have guessed.

This new trust has opened up a richer way of writing, a bolder level of speaking. The wedding ceremonies I now write get much closer to the poetry that exists within the hearts and minds of the individual people whose story I'm telling. Couples who use my services are required to answer a series of questions about themselves and each other and if they let themselves answer fully and honestly, they usually say the most exquisite things well worth telling just the way they wrote those words.

Thank you for your trust. It is my pleasure and privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment