Friday, March 21, 2008

Same Sex Marriages

I live in Massachusetts and as such I have the freedom and the privilege to officiate for two people of the same sex. Marriage equality was passed in Massachusetts, taking effect May 17, 2004.

About 20% of my wedding ceremonies are with same sex couples. Recently I was surprised when a woman called and asked me to officiate her ceremony and before we got off the phone, she asked me somewhat apologetically if I was agreeable to solemnizing her wedding to her female partner. I say surprised because of the apology. I can only assume she has encountered discrimination and wanted to protect herself from my possible rejection of her when we met to discuss her upcoming ceremony.

I frankly believe this issue will disappear in another twenty years, but meanwhile I wish today to go on record saying that homosexuality is a private matter and as such is a fully human experience, nor more deviant than, but equally valid as, heterosexual behavior.

The couples I've wed have had children together, parented adopted children together, built businesses together and contributed mightily to their communities together. They have, in short, done exactly the same as opposite sex couples. It's time to get over this as a nation. Massachusetts is a great example of how heterosexual marriages were not threatened nor were they diminished when the laws were passed and executed here in 2004. Freedom for one segment of society is not at the expense of any other segment when we look squarely at the truth. To all same sex couples looking to honor your relationship in a committed legal contract: welcome and please don't apologize.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete