Friday, August 24, 2007

Being Present for Your Ceremony

If there's one single thing I recall most vividly from my own wedding (other than a downpour at the end of the ceremony), it's having fought so very hard to be "present", to be conscious of where I was and what I was doing.

I hear this from brides and grooms---they say right before the ceremony that they're fine, but in fact, they're nervous. Since this is a performance of sorts, an opening and closing all wrapped up in one short event, it's normal to feel jittery. In twenty minutes you go from single to married; it's offical and permanent (well, you know...it's supposed to be).

My advice is to check in to your body. Make a scan from toes to ears and feel the energy inside and don't label it. It's energy, not nerves! Nervousness implies inadequacy; energy is neutral. It's good to feel it rather than fight it. You can turn that "nervous" energy into aliveness, the best ingredient for a successful ceremony.Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment