Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Children in Ceremonies

I take it back. I now believe that four is the cut-off date. Last Friday I officiated a ceremony with two well-behaved and poised four year olds. One of them balked at the rehearsal, but the day of the ceremony, he was a dream. Still, it's wise to have two youngsters come down the "aisle" together. For young children, there's safety in numbers.

What floored me was the reading delivery of a ten year old girl. She read the Irish Blessing with a mike and close to the beginning of the ceremony. I have rarely seen such presence. The adult readers were also very good (they had all rehearsed), but the preteen's delivery was unusual.

It comes down to this: if you have readers, make sure they rehearse on their own and probably at the big rehearsal. It pays to take the time for this. Most of my ceremony rehearsals, the readers do not attend. They're not in the wedding party and they come prepared on their own. But getting the readers to the big rehearsal is wise. I saw it work last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment